The wrongful death of a loved one is devastating. It can change your life forever in ways you never could have imagined. Not long after your loved one dies, you will begin to wonder who can be held accountable. So, who can sue for a wrongful death in Wisconsin?

When a person dies due to wrongful death, the victim’s parent, spouse and children have the right to sue. Depending on the circumstances, extended family might also be allowed to file a lawsuit in such a case. Extended family members could include siblings, grandparents and domestic partners.

If the wrongful death is due to medical malpractice, the law requires the person filing the lawsuit to provide the professional with some form of notice prior to filing. This can include sending a letter to the doctor or entity involved or even making a phone call.

Continuing with medical malpractice as the reason for the wrongful death, the employer of the medical professional being sued can also be sued by the victim’s surviving family members. This includes the professional’s medical group or hospital where the death occurred.

Once you determine that a lawsuit is necessary following the tragic death of a loved one, you will want to know what damages can be recovered. You can recover damages for pain and suffering, funeral expenses, loss of income provided by the victim, medical bills and loss of companionship.

If you lost a loved one to wrongful death, consider speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney in Milwaukee to discuss your case and determine how you can recover damages for the pain and suffering.

Source: FindLaw, “Can You Sue a Hospital or Doctor for Wrongful Death?,” July 06, 2017