Being hurt while on the job is never an easy situation to be in. You could find yourself out of work for an extended period, which can leave you in a tight financial situation. There are ways to fix your situation, including filing for workers’ compensation. So, how do you file a workers’ compensation claim in Wisconsin?

What many people do not realize until it is too late is that they are responsible for filing a workers’ compensation claim if they are injured on the job. You must immediately inform your supervisor that you have been injured or have suffered an illness due to your job. You must then obtain medical attention. This can include seeking out first aid, visiting the emergency room or going to see your family physician. Be sure to keep all medical and payment records for future use.

It is the responsibility of the employer to report your injury or illness to the company’s insurance carrier or to an in-house claims administrator, if there is one at the company. The injury or illness will then be reported to the Wisconsin Workers’ Compensation Division by the insurance carrier. The carrier will authorize payment for necessary and reasonable medical expenses.

Should you be kept out of work for more than three days by your doctor, the division will pay for lost wages. If you are to be compensated for your illness or injury, the insurance carrier is required to send you a check within 14 days of the incident or diagnosis.

Do you need to file a workers’ compensation claim in Milwaukee? Speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand your rights and how to proceed with your claim.

Source: Department of Workforce Development, “How Do I File a Claim?,” accessed Oct. 19, 2017